Giloy has been used as a powerful tonic for health and wellness in ancient times. There are several benefits and uses of Giloy for overall mental and physical health. Giloy is a herbaceous vine of the family “Menispermaceae,” and it is local to the tropical ranges of India, Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Asia, Africa, and Australia.
In Ayurveda, Giloy is considered one of the most excellent medications to treat different fevers and other health conditions. It is known as “Amrit”.
About Giloy – Tinospora Cordifolia
In simple words, Giloy is an Ayurvedic herb that has been utilized and present in Indian medication for ages. Concurring to a shlok of Charak Samhita, Giloy is one of the herbs with an extremely bitter taste. It can be utilized either in a powdered form or can be in the form of concentrated juice. And additionally available in capsule shape.
Different Names Of Giloy
Giloy is otherwise popularly known as…
What is the scientific name of Giloy?
The Scientific name of Giloy is “Tinospora Cordifolia”.
How to Identify Giloy Plant?
Giloy on Neem tree
Identifying Giloy is not too hard. Giloy may be a deciduous, extensively spreading, huge, climbing bush with a few stretched twining branches. This plant is fundamentally a climber with powerless juicy stems. The stem is wheatish to grey in the shade, and it can develop to a thickness of 1 – 5 cm.
It has heart-shaped and bright green leaves. Their leaves are primary, alternately placed, and exstipulate with long petioles up to 15 cm long, roundish, and pulvinate. Flowers of this plant show up when the vine is rather leafless.
A Giloy plant bears little yellow or green coloured fruits that grow in clusters and has six sepals. The natural products (fruits) of the Giloy plant are more commonly seen in winters. Giloy fruits are greenish drupes that get to be red on maturity.
This way you’ll be recognized Giloy plant.
Giloy Benefits: Health Benefits of Giloy
1. Giloy for fever
Giloy acts brilliantly in chronic, repetitive fevers. It is anti-inflammatory that decreases fever properties. Giloy has an antipyretic property to decrease fever. It is exceptionally useful in hay fever, moreover known as allergic rhinitis.
Giloy decreases the symptoms like runny nose, wheezing, nasal blockage, and watering of the eyes. To decrease the temperature, take ½ teaspoon of Giloy powder blend with honey and take this before eating.
2. Giloy for dengue
Giloy helps overcome dengue fever. The average intake of Giloy amid dengue helps in improving the immune system. It even helps in expanding platelet numbers. Typically, it helps to reduce dengue fever.
Giloy juice powers the digestion system and builds immunity. Its juice is a well-known cure for dengue fever. Solid immunity helps in battling dengue fever successfully. You can boil two little stems of the Giloy plant with a glass of water to prepare Giloy juice.
Consume this water when it is lukewarm. You can add a few drops of Giloy juice to a glass of boiled water and drink this twice a day. But make sure you do not drink beyond the daily requirements and over devour Giloy juice.
3. Immunity booster
It is an anti-inflammatory, and antipyretic herb that helps boost your immunity to battle against contamination and helps in early recovery from deceases. Standard intake of Giloy amid dengue helps increase the immune system. It moreover helps in flushing toxins from your body.
4. Controls diabetes level
Giloy is excellent for controlling diabetes levels. It helps increment the generation of affront. Also known to burn down additional glucose, making it easier for the body to directly absorb blood sugar. Giloy’s properties are said to act as a hypoglycemic operator that helps the body in lowering glucose levels within the system.
Giloy helps to manage sort – 2 diabetes. It helps in the normal creation of insulin in the body. Insulin is the enzyme responsible for breaking down sugar molecules in the blood, and an imbalance within the same leads to high blood sugar levels. Giloy leaves can be used to make juice and be consumed regularly.
5. Decrease the risk of blood pressure:
Giloy can help control high blood pressure caused due to stomach-related issues. It improves the digestion process and helps keep up a great digestive system. This helps decrease the chance of high blood weight levels. Giloy acts as a hypoglycemic operator since it decreases blood weight.
You can take 1/4 teaspoon of Giloy powder blended in half a glass of warm water post-lunch and supper; it can decrease the chance of blood pressure.
6. Reduces digestion related problems:
Giloy improves digestion and decreases absorption-related issues like runs, colitis, hyperacidity, spewing, etc. Its stem can decrease constipation, acidity, gas, and bloating. It works well for people with a powerless stomach-related system.
7. Reduces stress and anxiety:
Giloy is a fabulous adaptogenic herb, which implies that it helps in managing stress and anxiety by normalizing your physiological capacities. It incorporates a calming impact on the body and calms down your body. Due to its ability to cross the blood-brain obstruction, Giloy has the power to improve memory and cognitive functions.
8. Giloy for the heart:
Giloy has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that can help keep up healthy lipid levels. It is detailed to have cardio-protective effects. Giloy makes it great for the heart’s wellbeing.
9. Improves eye-sight:
Giloy is known to have antioxidants such as lutein which is incredible for your eyes. These antioxidants help in moving your forward vision and keeping your eyes healthy. Giloy is exceptionally undeniable to improve eye-sight when applying topically.
All you would do is boil Giloy powder or Giloy leaves in water; once it cools down, apply it over the eyes. Take a modest bunch of Giloy leaves and boil them in three glasses of water. Apply this blend all over your eyelids once it cools down.
10. Treats joint pain and gout:
Giloy contains anti-inflammatory and anti-arthritic properties. It has pain-relieving properties, making it significant for calming torment and irritation amid joint pain and gout.
11. For skin improvement:
Significant in restoring your skin, Giloy can offer assistance to keep your skin looking young, new, and lovely. It can help in combating pimples, dull spots, and fine lines. It helps in detoxifying the skin. It can help enhance the skin’s quality and helps make it clear, supple, and shining.
Giloy powder, Kadha, tea, or tablets can be utilized for different skin issues because it helps remove toxins from the body.
You can apply Giloy leaf paste on the skin to affix the wound healing because it helps to escalate collagen production and skin rejuvenation.
Asthma causes coughing, wheezing, chest snugness, shortness of breath, etc., which makes it exceptionally troublesome to treat such a condition. Giloy helps to treat this kind of situation.
13. Giloy for liver:
Giloy expels toxins from the body, purifies the blood, and fights microscopic organisms. It is beneficial for individuals with liver illness. This plant can detoxify your liver and help in appropriate working. It even acts as a cure for the greasy liver.
One of the most significant benefits of Giloy is that it can offer assistance in invigorating the recovery of liver tissue that has been damaged.
Giloy Herbal Products:
1. Giloy Stem
The stem of Giloy is considered profoundly successful since of its high nutritional substance. Giloy stem has the most excellent utility and is most valuable, and we can utilize its roots likewise. It helps to enhance digestion, and decrease constipation, acidity, gastric development and bloating.
It works well for people with a weak stomach-related system. Moreover, this effective stem decreases mental stress, boosts your memory and helps you calm down when it is consumed in a routine. This helps encounter the free radicals and other disease-causing microbes.
It moreover detoxes your body by flushing out the toxic wastes and filtering your blood.
2. Giloy Powder
Giloy Powder is a powerhouse of cancer-preventing agents that combat free radicals. They keep your cells healthy and sound while making you free of infections. Giloy Churna helps boost immunity. Giloy powder helps get relief of repetitive fevers since Giloy is anti-pyretic.
It is even valuable in treating gout and arthritis. Giloy powder is excellent for diabetic patients.
3. Giloy Leaves
Giloy leaves are beneficial for health. One can chew fresh leaves of Giloy for improving everyday health as well as relieving joint pain. Giloy leaves are exceptionally useful in Corona-virus disease.
Giloy consumption by decoction made from boiling Giloy leaves helps to control gout, fever, and indigestion.
4. Giloy Sat/Satva
Giloy Satva Powder is a healthy Ayurvedic medication that is extracted from the maceration of the watery extricate of the sacred Giloy plant. It is additionally supportive in fever, gout, liver issues, common ailments, etc.
This magical powder has abundant health benefits towards rectifying all sorts of Pitta exasperating clutters like fatigue, jaundice, diabetes, indigestion, constipation, and burning sensation of hands and feet.
5. Giloy Juice
Giloy juice is precious to us. You ought to drink Giloy juice on an empty stomach in the morning for increasing platelet counts. It is valuable in Anemia, Urinary Clutters, fever, Ailment, Gout, Jaundice, and Immuno-Insufficiency.
6. Giloy Tablets
It is demonstrated to be exceptionally productive for decreasing mental stress and anxiety because it calms, detoxifies, and improves memory. Take two 250 mg tablets or capsules once or twice every day with dinner or one 500 mg tablet or capsule taken frequently with supper.
7. Giloy Ghanvati
Beneficial in common weakness, skin issues, fever, Dengue, Chicken Guinea, and urinary disarranges. Valuable in generalized debility, fever, skin & urinary disarranges. Giloy Ghanvati is utilized as a treatment for common fever and immunity.
8. Giloy Kwath
Giloy Kwath may be a coarse powder of Giloy. This Kwath is an extricate obtained from the stem of Giloy. Take 2-3 tbsp twice a day, sometime before or after lunch and supper.
It is particularly advantageous for individuals with liver illness. This expels toxins from the body, filters the blood, and fights against microbes.
How To Use Giloy: How To Take Giloy For Maximum Health Benefit
How to Use Giloy Stem?
This will help disinfect your blood, expel toxins and fight against the disease-causing microbes.
Please take a few Giloy stems and boil them in a glass of water until the water is reduced to half of its amount.
Strain the water and devour it every day.
How to Use Giloy Leaves?
You can apply Giloy leaf paste on the skin to fasten the wound healing process because it helps to increase collagen creation and skin revival.
- Make a fine paste of Giloy leaves.
- Include honey or Gulab-Jal to it.
- Apply it on the scalp and take it off for at least 2-3 hours after.
- And then wash it.
Giloy leaves are valuable for indigestion and Fever.
- Please take a few Giloy leaves and boil them in 400 ml water till the water is decreased to half.
- Strain the water. Include to it 2-3 pieces of long pepper and blend well.
- Take it in a dosage of 10-15 ml twice a day.
- It ought to be taken some time only just after food with 1 tbsp of Honey.
Its leaves are also valuable for gout.
- Boil some Giloy leaves with 400 ml water.
- Reduce the sum to 100 ml. Filter the concoction.
- Take it 10 ml twice a day sometime after food.
- This cure works when taken regularly for at least 6 months.
In any type of Fever
- Take the juice of a 1 ft. long Branch of Giloy and seven leaves of Tulsi.
- Boil them in water for some minutes.
How to Drink Giloy Juice?
Giloy juice is beneficial for us.
- Take 2-3 teaspoons of Giloy Juice.
- And add 2-3 teaspoons of water and drink it on an empty stomach in the morning once a day.
- Take 2-3 teaspoons of Giloy juice.
- Add to 1 glass of water and drink it.
- Take 3 teaspoons of fresh Giloy juice.
- Then add the same quantity of water.
- Drink it on an empty stomach in the morning.
- Take this at least 2-3 months for better results.
How to Use Giloy Powder?
- Take 1/4 to1/2 teaspoon of Giloy powder.
- Add 1 teaspoon honey.
- Have it after lunch and dinner.
Giloy for Diabetes
- Take 1/2 teaspoon of Giloy powder twice a day with water.
- Take this after lunch and dinner.
Giloy for Diarrhea
- Take 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon of Giloy powder.
- Add to 1 glass of warm water and mix well.
- Take it after dinner and lunch.
How to Take Giloy Tablets?
It cures asthma, arthritis, and cough
Take 1-2 Giloy tablets with honey after eating food twice a day.
Giloy Side Effects
- Sometimes in case, you take Giloy for more than 8 weeks. It might cause migraine or nasal pain in a few people.
- Use it cautiously in case you have got diabetes, and monitor your blood sugar levels. The doses of your diabetes solutions might be balanced. Giloy might lower blood sugar levels.
- There is not sufficient solid information to know by any chance that Giloy is secure to utilize when pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Stop taking Giloy at the slightest 2 weeks, or sometimes before a planned surgery. It might meddle with blood sugar control amid and after surgery.
- This might augment the side effects of immune system diseases.
- It may too cause stomach pain. The issue can be caused by utilizing Giloy in any shape. Whether you take it as a juice or a supplement capsule, typically one of the genuine side effects of Giloy is that you simply ought to consider keeping in mind.
- Giloy may over-stimulate the immune system and make it more dynamic. This may result in an increase in the symptoms of immune system illnesses such as lupus.
- Too much Giloy is not suitable for a pregnant lady or the lady who wants to become pregnant.
- A few times, Giloy causes constipation.
- Giloy may over-stimulate the immune system and make it over-active.
- It is best to avoid Giloy if you endure any of these illnesses like rheumatoid joint pain problem, lupus, and different sclerosis.