Dodi (Jivanti), scientifically known as Leptadenia reticulata, is a highly important medicinal plant relating to the family Asclepiadaceous popularly recognized as Jivanti in India. It is particularly identified for its stimulant and restorative qualities in Ayurveda, and it is also an essential constituent of various well-reputed ayurvedic formulations like Chywanprash, Spemann, etc. Its principal ingredients are leptadenol, leptidin acetate. It possesses appetizer, aphrodisiac, anticancer and antibacterial characteristics.
- About Dodi (Jivanti)
- Different Names
- General Information
- Scientific Classification
- Health benefits
- Medicinal Properties
About Dodi (Jivanti) – Leptadenia reticulate
Jivanti(Leptadenia reticulata) is a necessary medicinal plant utilized in Ayurveda. The specifying of Jivanti is even discovered in Atharva Veda. Charak, and Bhavprakash, explain it as great amongst leafy vegetables. It is involved in Jivaniya Gana, the group of herbs utilized to increase vitality and life.
Jivanti has recognized a stimulant and tonic in Ayurvedic species of literature. It is designated in weakness due to seminal discharge. It is also defined as a herb with sweet, cold, aphrodisiac, light-to-digest, and rejuvenating properties. It improves life, vigor, and fertility. Jivanti is Tridoshahara, and equilibriums Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. This is the drug of option for emaciation, weakness, fever, difficult breathing, burning sensation in the body, and fertility problems.
In Bhavprakash, Dregea Volubilis (Synonyms Marsdenia Volubilis (L.f.) Cooke., Wattakaka Volubilis (L.f.) Stapf.) is defined as Jivanti. In Sanskrit, this plant is recognized as Hema, Hemavati, Hemalatha, Swarnika, Swarnalatha, Hemajivanti, Swarna jivanti.
In Bengal, Bihar, and Uttar Pradesh, Dendrobium macraei Lindl., Similars Flickingeria macraei (Lindl.) Seidenf., describing to the Orchid family is obtainable as Jivanti. The whole dried plant is employed as Jivanti. The Panchang is yellow and identified as Swarn Jivanti.
In Gujrat, Leptadenia Reticulata is utilized as Jivanti. It is developed as a potherb and employed to manage disorders of eyes and tuberculosis. Leptadenia reticulata is also employed as Jivanti in the development of several Ayurvedic medicines. Therefore, this drug is accepted as real Jivanti by many.
Different Names Of Dodi(Jivanti)
- English: Jiwanti, Cork Swallow-wort
- Hindi: Dodi Shak, Jivanti
- Sanskrit: Arkapushpi, caksusya, jivaniya, jivanti
- Bengali: Jiwanti
- Gujarati: Dodee
- Malyalam: Atapatiyan
- Marathi: Kheerakhodee
- Kannada: Bugudi hoovina gedde, Hirandhodi
- Tamil: Palalkkodi
- Telugu: Palatige, Mukkutummudu
Jivanti (Leptadenia reticulate) is a twining shrub with various branches. The Dodi leaves are ovate to cordite, 4 to 7.5 cm long, 2 to 5 cm, and petiole 1 to 3 cm long. They are glabrous above and pubescent below. The leaf is rugged, longitudinally ridged, wrinkled, furrowed, transversely crazed, bent, and cylindrical. It is 5 to 10 cm long, 0.5 to 2.5 cm in diameter. The skin is yellowish-brown, corky, deeply cracked.
Its flowers are greenish-yellow. Flowering happens in May and June, and fruiting occurs in October and proceeds up to November. The roots are externally rough, white, or buff-colored with longitudinal ridges and furrows. The tubers include fructosan of the insulin variety and are also used as vegetables.
This plant is discovered growing in moistened places. It is a great woody twining permanent plant relating to the family Apocynaceae. It has light green flowers in compact drooping umbels. It is a medicinal plant and is also accepted as emetic, diaphoretic, and diuretic.
The botanical name of Dodi(Jivanti) is Leptadenia reticulata. It relates to the plant family Apocynaceae (Dogbane family), including main trees, shrubs, herbs, stem succulents, and vines.
- Kingdom: Plantae
- Subkingdom: Tracheobionta
- Division: Magnoliophyta
- Class: Magnoliopsida
- Subclass: Asteridae
- Order: Gentianales
- Family: Apocynaceae
- Genus: Leptadenia
- Species: reticulate
- Part(s) utilized for medicinal purpose: Whole Plant
- Plant type: climber
Distribution: Sub-Himalayan regions of Punjab to Sikkim, Khasi hills, Utter Pradesh, Gujarat, and everywhere the Deccan Peninsula up to an altitude of 900 m. Also found in Mauritius, Madagascar, and Sri Lanka.
Habitat: Grows in sandy loamy-clay soil
Constituents of Dodi (Jivanti)
This Natural herb includes essential constituents like n-triacontane, cetyl alcohol, beta-sitosterol, tur betaamyrin acetate, lupanol 3-O-diglucoside, and lepitidin glycoside. In addition, reticulin, Deniculatin, and Leptaculatin are three novel pregnane glycosides isolated from Leptadenia reticulata.
Stigmasterol has lactogenic attributes on lactating mammary glands. It provides a meaningful galactopoietic response without any alterations in the composition of milk or blood.
Health Benefits of Dodi (Leptadenia Reticulata)
1. Best for Eye Wellness
Yes. Dodi (Jivanti) is the best natural herb that helps with your vision and keeps your eyes as healthy as possible. Dodi contains essential constituents that are effective for vision health. In addition, you can use natural dodi (jivanti) powder as the eye tonic to make your eyes healthy.
2. Helps to cure fever
The root of Jivanti also has medicinal properties; taking a decoction made from it reduces fever. To make a decoction made from the root, grind the root and make a powder, then mix it with water after heating it; when the water remains half, filter it and drink it.
3. Helps to cure arthritis pain
If you grind the leaves of Jeevanti and apply it on the knees or joints, then there will be relief from arthritis or joint pain. The use of jivanti provides relief in both pain and inflammation.
4. Helps to cure the wound
Jivanti is considered beneficial in skin diseases. You can heal the wound by applying a paste of the leaves of Jeevanti, due to which the wound heals quickly. First, you have to make a paste by grinding the leaves of Jeevanti and mix turmeric in it and apply that paste to the wound.
5. Helps to cure swelling
If you have inflammation in your body, you can also take the help of Jivanti to remove it. Apply the juice of the leaves of Jeevanti on the inflamed area, and it will cure the swelling. Along with inflammation, it is also beneficial in relieving irritation.
6. Helps to increase appetite
Consumption of Jivanti increases appetite. You grind the flower of Jeevanti and take its juice mixed with honey; it will increase appetite. Livelihood is also considered beneficial in heart disease.
7. Helps to cure tuberculosis
Livelihood is considered beneficial to relieve the symptoms of TB; it cannot be said that it can cure TB completely. If you see symptoms, you take a course of medicines, but you can take a course of medicines if you see mild symptoms. It can be consumed. Taking pulp of the leaves of Jeevanti with ghee is considered beneficial.
8. Helps to cure Diarrhoea
If you have an upset stomach, then mix honey in the juice of the leaves of Jeevanti and mix it with lukewarm water and consume it. It will remove the problem of diarrhea. You can consume Jeevanti after meals. Talking about the quantity, take only the amount of a small spoon. If you are consuming Jeevanti in the form of powder, then you can take it with lukewarm water. It would help if you did not consume it more than twice a day.
9. Helps to cure ulcers
If there is an ulcer in the mouth, mixing the paste of the leaves of Jeevanti with honey and applying it on the mouth and lips, the blisters are cured quickly and taking this mixture with water, then the problem of cough ends.
Dosage of Leptadenia reticulata
- The dried root powder is taken in a dose of 3-6 grams.
- The decoction is taken in a dose of 50-60 ml.
- The leaves of the plant are used as a vegetable. The maximum dose of raw herb should be taken per day to treat disorders in 10-30 grams.
Note: It would be advisable to consult your physician before starting to consume Dodi (Jivnati).
Dodi(Jivanti), The natural Herb, is well-riched in medicinal properties. The knowledge of these properties will surely encourage us to use this natural herb better.
- Anti-abortifacient: Clinically, trials using Leptaden were discovered to be efficient in treating threatened and recurrent abortion.
- Antimicrobial: It has strong bactericidal activity.
- Antiepileptic: It prevents or reduces the severity of epileptic fits.
- Anti-implantation: It possesses strong anti-implantation and heterotropic movement but no anti-estrogenic activity.
- Anti-cancer: The research explains that ethanolic extract of the leaves significantly enhances life span and reduces cancer cell signs and tumour weight. The extract also normalized Hematological parameters.
- Anti-depressant: Leptadenia is efficient in depression and different herbs without any side effects and showed a marked enhancement in hysteria or epilepsy.
- Antiulcer: tending to prevent or heal ulcers.
- Diuretic: It improves urine volume significantly.
- Hypotensive: lowers blood pressure.
- Lactogenic: increase lactation.
- Spermatogenic: increases sperm count.
- Immunomodulatory: It serves as a modulator and alleviates immunosuppressive situations.
- Galactagogue: Leptadenia significantly improves milk flow due to the lactogenic, anabolic, and galactagogue impacts.
Uses of Jivanti (Leptadenia reticulata)
Jivanti is a stimulant, galactagogue, and natural remedy. It is utilized as a single drug in the treatment of Asthma. In addition, Jivanti is prescribed as a tonic in debility due to seminal discharges. It is suggested to treat for General weakness, Cough, Asthma, Constipation, Abdominal tumors, Piles, Diarrhea, and Sperm Disorders.
- The paste is externally employed topically for several skin conditions, wounds, allergies, and skin inflammation. In addition, it is anti-abortifacient and restricts abortion.
- The plant’s fruits are accepted in Kapha Dosha, such as chest congestion, cough, and cold.
- The leaves and roots are antibacterial on Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria.
- Ayurvedic medicine Leptaden, which contains Jivanti as the chief ingredient, definitely inhibits threatened and recurrent abortion. Leptadenia with Progesterone was efficient on the abortion problem and appeared to have lessened the incidence of recurrent abortion.
- The leaves and roots of Jivanti Plants are delivered to animals for improving milk-yielding capacity.
- This plant is employed as vegetables. Jivanti (Leptadenia) is a delicious plant and safe to eat.
The plant Dodi (Jivanti) is one of the most beneficial natural ingredients of various formulations utilized to recover from physiological, bacterial infections, or even form cancer. Only a few researchers worked on the various extracts of the plant on a few of the diseases occurring in human beings. Still, several pharmacological activities of the plant persist in being explored. Its antioxidant and anti-cancerous properties could be associated with its ingredients like flavonoids, glycosides, etc.